Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Penang Bridge

Penang Bridge

The first Penang Bridge was opened in 1985, spans a total of 13.5km and is the main link between Penang Island and the mainland on peninsular Malaysia. It is also the annual site for the Penang Bridge International Marathon. However, Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah (second Penang Bridge) with a total length of 24km is completed in 2014. It connects the southeastern part of the island to the mainland.

Penang Bridge

Before 1985, transportation between the island and the mainland was solely dependent on the state-owned Penang Ferry Service that runs between Butterworth and George Town.

In the early 1970s, the idea to build a bridge linking Seberang Perai to Penang Island was suggested by the 2nd Prime Minister of Malaysia’s Tun Abdul Razak and the 2nd Chief Minister of Penang’s Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu.

At the end of 1971, the Malaysian government appointed Christiani Nielsen A/S of Denmark to carry out a feasibility study.

In the year 1976, Penang Bridge was planned during the term of 3rd Prime Minister of Malaysia’s Tun Hussein Onn.

In November 1976, Howard Needles Tammen & Bergendorf of United States in association with Jurutera Konsultant (SEA) Sdn. Bhd. of Malaysia was appointed to design and supervise the construction of the bridge.

On 23 July 1981, Works Minister of Malaysia’s Dato Seri Samy Vellu announced that Penang Bridge, Penang would be constructed using the cable-stayed concrete girder of the San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge instead of the steel-tied arch in the style of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

In 1982, the construction of Penang Bridge officially began. The bridge was constructed by the Hyundai Engineering and Construction Company (Korea) Ltd from South Korea and the United Engineers Malaysia Berhad. During construction, a two-man made island at South Channel was created for the construction of the cable stayed bridge and the Gelugor coastline was reclaimed into cape for the construction of the Gelugor interchange.

On 3 August 1985, the Penang Bridge was officially opened by the 4th Prime Minister of Malaysia’s Tun Dr. Mahathir Bin Mohamad. He drove across the bridge in a red Proton Saga (the national car), carrying the national flag to officiate the opening ceremony. On 14 September 1985, Penang Bridge is officially opened to traffic by the fourth Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang, Tun Dr. Awang Hassan.

 


Opening Hours : 24 hours
Toll Fee : RM 7
Youtube Video : https://youtu.be/UuqYqSS5HrE

Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Penang War Museum

Penang War Museum

The Penang ar Museum was built on the remnants of an Old British fort which defended Penang’s coast. It features old war relics and depicts the lifestyle of soldiers in those times. The historic site is an ideal setting for paint ball tournaments.

penang van rental - penang war museum (8) penang van rental - penang war museum (7) penang van rental - penang war museum penang van rental - penang war museum (5)

Penang War Museum

The Penang War Museum at the southeastern tip of Penang Island is the largest war museum in Southeast Asia. It covers the now-defunct Batu Maung Fort, which was built by the British Army prior to World War 2.

The fortress, complete with interlinking tunnels dug into the hills, pillboxes, and bays for cannons and anti-aircraft guns, was meant to defend Penang Island from a sea-borne invasion. However, British and Commonwealth troops evacuated the fortress without a fight, ahead of the landing of the Imperial Japanese Army on Penang Island in December 1941.

The Imperial Japanese Army subsequently used the fortress as a base to protect Japanese shipping around Penang Island. After the end of the war, the fortress was left abandoned until 2002, when it was converted into a war museum.

Said to be one of the most haunted sites in Asia, this privately-run museum organises night tours for those who are unfazed by the supernatural. In addition, paintball matches are also available at a designated paintball field adjacent to the fortress.

Batu Maung Fort was built by the Royal Engineers in the 1930s to defend Penang Island from amphibious invasions, as well as to protect the Royal Air Force base in Butterworth across the Penang Channel. The fortress, built on Punjab Hill at the southeastern tip of Penang Island, consists of bays for cannons and anti-aircraft guns, a command centre, a prison, sleeping quarters, a cookhouse and concrete pillboxes, all of which are connected via tunnels dug into the hill.

In 1936, Penang Island was declared a fortress, and just before the Japanese invasion of Penang in December 1941, most of the Allied garrison in Penang, commanded by Brigadier C.A. Lyon, were stationed within Batu Maung Fort.

However, the overriding Singapore strategy demanded the heavier deployment of the British military around Singapore to the south. This, coupled with the general complacency amongst British military officials who believed that the Japanese would attack from the sea, caused the Penang ‘fortress’ to be under-equipped. By December 1941, only two 6-inch batteries were installed and, crucially, the anti-aircraft defences were never completed.

During World War 2, as Penang Island was being pummeled by Japanese warplanes and the Imperial Japanese Army penetrated further southwards, the British high command in Malaya under Lieutenant-General Arthur Percival decided to withdraw the Penang garrison. Although Penang Island still had some strategic importance due to the submarine cables that passed through the island, Percival ordered the retreat, as he did not want to stretch his resources fighting ‘the enemy both on the mainland and on Penang Island’.

Cnsequently, most of the Penang garrison were evacuated by 15 December. The soldiers manning Batu Maung Fort blew up the 6-inch guns in order to deny their use by the enemy. On 19 December, the Imperial Japanese Army landed on Penang Island, marking the start of a brutal period of Japanese Occupation.

During the Japanese Occupation of Penang, the Imperial Japanese Army used the fortress as a base to protect Japanese shipping around Penang Island. After the war ended in 1945, the fortress was left abandoned to be swallowed up by the surrounding jungles.

It was only in the late 1990s when Johari Shafie, an entrepreneur and an alumnus of Universiti Sains Malaysia, founded Penang War Museum Sdn. Bhd. with the cooperation of the Penang state government. In 2002, after extensive restoration works, the Penang War Museum, the largest of its kind in Southeast Asia, was opened to the public.
The privately-run museum also gained fame as one of the most haunted places in Asia due to a National Geographic documentary filmed on site in 2013.


Opening Hours : 9am – 6pm
Address : Jalan Batu Maung
Contact No. : 04 – 626 5142
Entry Fee : Malaysian RM20, Foreigners RM35
Youtube Video : https://youtu.be/rF0iQHxpBgs

Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋

Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋

Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋 - Vietnam Special Curry Crab Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋 - Seafood Vegetable Set Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋 - Sauces Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋 - Fresh Oysters

Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋

A new hidden gem, Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋 is discovered at Pudu Ulu, Cheras. You could experience unique Vietnamese food in Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋.

Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋

Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋 is operated by its owner who loved Vietnamese food. Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋 is famous for its Seafood Vegetable Set with different type of broths, including Tom Yum Soup base (Lau Chua Cay) or Clear Soup base (sup ngot). Seafood Vegetable Set packed with  with prawns, squids, clams, mussels, and fresh vegetables and mushrooms. The Seafood Vegetable Set also comes with side dishes such as fish fillet, Yee Mee or fried fuk chuk.

Another top platter is its Vietnam Special Curry Crab. The Vietnam Special Curry Crab comes with a thick , tasty curry gravy and fresh crab with assortments of vegetables.

Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋 serve Fresh Oysters daily. All its fresh oysters are imported. You could dip these in its 12 Special Sauces. You could also combine all the sauces and create your own special sauce.
Quench your thirst by ordering their Vietnam Oolong Tea. The taste like drinking a jasmine tea.

Restaurant Lang Nuong 好再来火锅烧烤屋
Address : No. 15-a, Jalan Pudu Hulu, Taman Pertama,  56100 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur
Contact : 010 – 298 8880
Hours : Daily 4PM – 5AM
Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Batu Maung Fishing Village

Batu Maung Fishing Village

Batu Maung Fishing Village is a close-knit community located at Penang Island’s southeastern tip. It is famed for the a mysterious giant footprint on a boulder at the beach. Known as Tapak Gedembai, the Chinese believe the footprint was left by the mighty Cheng Ho, while Indians believe it belonged to the monkey God Hanuman and Malays believed it belonged to a fleeing giant.

penang van rental - batu maung (8) penang van rental - batu maung (7) penang van rental - batu maung (6) penang van rental - batu maung (5)

Batu Maung Fishing Village

Batu Maung is a small town in Penang, Malaysia. It is located in the southeastern part of Penang Island. It consists of several smaller villages namely Kampung Seronok (at the border with Bayan Lepas), Kampung Binjai, Permatang Damar Laut, Kampung Batu Maung, Kampung Teluk Tempoyak and Kampung Jalan Baru.

Due to land reclamation from the sea, the Bayan Lepas Free Trade Zone has now expanded to Batu Maung. Notable companies with factories in Batu Maung include Motorola and Nippon Express. This contribute to a population boom since people start to settle in Batu Maung due to its lower rental rate compared to established areas like Bayan Lepas and Bandar Bayan Baru.

Some notable attractions in Batu Maung include the War Museum (showcasing WW2 relics), seafood centre in Kampung Teluk Tempoyak, Tapak Gedembai (a giant footprint cast in stone) near the fishing port and Kampung Seronok (a cultural village, winners of the best village in Malaysia in the past).

Batu Maung is also famous for having a temple dedicated to Admiral Cheng Ho (Zhenghe). The Sam Poh Footprint Temple, which initially was just an altar built over a rock right at the shoreline, has since been developed into a proper temple. It enshrines what appears to be a giant footprint – the footprint of Sam Poh, the local name given to Cheng Ho.

In August 2006, Malaysian Government has announced that the Penang’s Second Bridge will be built from Batu Kawan (on the mainland) to Batu Maung (on the island).

 


Opening Hours : whole day
Address : Batu Maung
Entry Fee : Free

Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Penang Snake Temple

Penang Snake Temple

Penang Snake Temple was built in the 1850’s, the temple is dedicated to Chor Soo Kong, a priest who was believed to have extraordinary healing powers. According to local folklore, a religious man offered the pit vipers shelter to escape from danger and since then, they have stayed in the temple.

penang van rental - snake temple (8) penang van rental - snake temple (7) penang van rental - snake temple (6) penang van rental - snake temple (5)

Penang Snake Temple

Penang Snake Temple (Chinese: 蛇庙; pinyin: Shé Miào; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Tsuâ-biō,Tamil:நாக ஆலயம், Nāka ālayam) is situated in Sungai Kluang, Bayan Lepas, Southwest Penang Island, Penang, Malaysia and is perhaps the only temple of its kind in the world. The temple is filled with the smoke of burning incense and a variety of pit vipers. The vipers are believed to be rendered harmless by the sacred smoke, but as a safety precaution, the snakes have also been de-venomed but still have their fangs intact. Visitors are warned against picking up the reptiles and placing them on their bodies to take pictures. Local devotees believe the temple’s snake population comes there of its own accord.

The temple was built about 1850 in memory of Chor Soo Kong (祖師公), by a Buddhist monk. Chor Soo Kong (also known as Qingshui) was born in China with the surname Tan (陳昭應 or Tan Chhiau-eng) in China during the Song Dynasty (960-1279). He was serious about seeking spiritual attainment and was ordained at an early age. According to legend, Chor Soo Kong was also a healer and sometimes gave shelter to the snakes of jungle. When he died at age 65 after a lifetime of good deeds, he was awarded the honorific title Chor Soo, that of an eminent figure revered generation after generation. After the construction of the temple, snakes reportedly appeared by themselves. The temple was originally called the “Temple of the Azure Cloud” in honor of the beauty of Penang’s sky.

Believers from as far away as Singapore and Taiwan come to pray in the temple on Chor Soo Kong’s birthday (the sixth day of the first lunar month).

 


Opening Hours : 6am – 7pm
Address : Jalan Sultan Azlan Shag
Contact No. : 04 – 643 7273
Entry Fee : Free
Youtube Video : https://youtu.be/WDMuqRyg1kQ

Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

USM Museum and Art Gallery

USM Museum and Art Gallery

USM Museum and Art Gallery exhibits a diverse collection of artifacts, textiles, prints, traditional jewelleries and Malay daggers as well as collection of paintings from the Baba Nyonya an Malays.

penang van rental - usm (8) penang van rental - usm (7) penang van rental - usm (6) penang van rental - usm (5)

USM Museum and Art Gallery

The establishment of Muzium & Galeri Tuanku Fauziah (MGTF) at the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) was initiated by the forward-looking vision of the first Vice-Chancellor of USM, the late Tan Sri Prof. Hamzah Sendut. The plan to establish a museum in USM was initially proposed after the establishment of the School of Humanities and the introduction of the Fine Art Programme in 1971 and 1972 respectively.

USM was the first public university in Malaysia to pioneer the offering of fine art at a higher education level. Since then, numerous exhibits, works of art and collections were acquired to complement the teaching and learning at USM. A special task force committee, under the patronage of the late Tan Sri Prof. Hamzah Sendut, undertook the acquisition endeavour. The committee was led by several prominent scholars in USM such as Lim Huck Tee, Dato’ Prof. Sharom Amat and Dato’ K.J. Ratnam with members from the academic staff of the School of Humanities and the then USM Art Center.

This initial effort was later supported by the second Vice-Chancellor, the late Tun Hamdan Sheikh Tahir. As a result, paintings, silverware, keris and traditional musical instruments were purchased as a part of the effort to set up the Museum and Art Gallery. T.K. Sabapathy was appointed as the first Honorary Curator. The appointment was later complemented by the official appointment of the Museum and Gallery’s first Curator in 1981, Wan Zakaria Wan Ismail, who was responsible in developing the collections into a fully-fledged USM Museum and Gallery as it has been known until today.

The collections were initially placed under the USM Library, under the supervision of the then Head Librarian, Lim Huck Tee. The effort to obtain collections for teaching purposes was accomplished through bulk purchases from galleries in Kuala Lumpur. Concurrently, the Performing Arts Programme, under the supervision of Ghulam Sarwar Yusoff, was also acquiring exhibits such as traditional musical instruments, costumes, theatre props and traditional games for the use of USM students.

The USM Museum and Art Gallery was officially opened on 21 January 1982. It was inaugurated as the Muzium & Galeri Tuanku Fauziah (MGTF) on 19 March 2007.

The campus site and area around the Muzium & Galeri Tuanku Fauziah is a rich repository of history and heritage. It is linked to the name Bukit Tok Jannatun, in conjunction with the name of one Minangkabau explorer who was bequeathed a piece of land from Batu Uban to Gelugor by the then Sultan of Kedah around the mid 18th century. It later fell into the hands of one English nobleman, David Brown. His residence on top of a hill was a source of inspiration for a painting by William Daniel in 1818. The site was later bequeathed to the British army, and named “Minden” after a town in Germany. Later, it housed the Malaysian army before finally being turned into a campus and renamed Universiti Pulau Pinang. The building that houses the Museum was used as a premise for the University Library until it was later turned into the USM Museum and Gallery in 1982. The beautiful and majestic building reflects a neo-classical style with Doric columns.

Permanent collections:

1. Fine Art Collection
2. Video & Media Art Collection
3. Traditional Malaysian and Asian Performing Arts and Music Collection
4. Traditional Art and Technology from the Islamic World Collection
5. Chinese Calligraphy Collection
6. Malay Traditional Daggers Collection
7. Ethnography Collection (Malay, Aborigines, Iban, Straits Chinese)
8. Ancient Artifacts Collection
9. Modern Technologies
10. Natural Science Collection
11. Tun Hamdan Sheikh Tahir’s Gifts Collection
12. Cosplay Collection


Opening Hours : 9am – 6pm (Closed on Monday and Public Holidays)
Address : Universiti Sains Malaysia Penang
Contact No. : 04 – 653 3261 

 

Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Penang Golf Club

Penang Golf Club

Penang Golf Club is the world class golf course offers formidable fairways and greens surrounded by rock passages and dense jungles. Its stunning 18 hole 5763m, par 72 golf course was designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr,. a noted gold course architect.

penang van rental - penang gold club (8) penang van rental - penang gold club (7) penang van rental - penang gold club (6) penang van rental - penang gold club (5)

Penang Golf Club

Formerly called Bukit Jambul Golf Club and built in 1984, the Penang Golf Club has undergone a major facelift and reopened on November 2012 with new turf and some modifications to make it more challenging and exciting.

The original course design has been retained with cosmetic changes. The greens are larger and undulating, the tee boxes reshaped, bunkers filled with new sand and the areas around the bunkers improved, cart paths have been lengthened while most of the ponds are bigger with new retainer walls.

The course was the venue for the 31st Malaysian Open in 1992 which was won by Vijay Singh.
Being the only championship 18-hole golf course on Penang island, it is a course that welcomes locals and foreigners who want to check out the rolling fairways, manicured and undulating greens and enjoy the sights and sounds that come with it.

 


Opening Hours : 7.30am – 8pm
Address : Jalan Bukit Jambul
Contact No. : 04 – 644 2255
Website : www.penanggolfclub.com.my
Youtube Video : https://youtu.be/avCYUKlyOzg

Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Penang Tropical Fruit Farm

Penang Tropical Fruit Farm

Penang Tropical Fruit Farm opened in 1993, offers more than 250 types of tropical and sub-tropical fruits from all over the world. Visitors visit the farm to taste those fruits and take in the view of breathtaking vistas.

penang van rental - penang tropical fruit farm (5) penang van rental - penang tropical fruit farm (7) penang van rental - penang tropical fruit farm (8)

Penang Tropical Fruit Farm

Tropical Fruit Farm is situated about 800ft above sea level on the hilly terrain of Teluk Bahang in Penang is an ideal location for cultivating many types of tropical and sub-tropical fruit trees. The orchard covers 25 acres and it was developed back in 1993 with a few objectives in mind. First of all, to conserve the rare and exotic fruit trees. Secondly, to educate and promote to the locals as well as foreigners of the gift that our land is blessed with. Lastly, to play a positive role towards agriculture and eco / agro tourism amid the intensive development in our state’s rural areas.

Over the years, the orchard has acquired many rare and exotic fruit trees from the region as well as from far-flung corners of the globe such as Central and South America, Central Africa, India, the Middle East, the Caribbean, the Pacific Islands etc. Today the orchard boasts of a collection of over 250 different species and the list is still growing.

The farm endeavours to use only organic fertilisers. Some of which are processed in the farm using fruit waste collected from around the farm. Chemicals are only used when absolutely necessary. In the farm, our aim is to work towards a cleaner environment for the future.

Apart from viewing the fruits of course there would be sampling of the variety of flavors that is unique to each individual fruit. The orchard also prepares light snacks, juices and a hefty BBQ buffet spread on the weekends and public holidays.

 


Opening Hours : 9am – 5pm
Address : Batu 18, Jalan Teluk Bahang
Contact No. : 012 – 497 1931
Entry Fee : Adult RM40, Children RM30
Website : http://www.tropicalfruits.com.my
Youtube Video : https://youtu.be/kzRzHFIqDCI

Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Penang National Park

Penang National Park

Penang National Park is definitely a must-visit place for nature lovers. Take on the nature trails if you’re an adventurous person and hike all the way u to the pristine beaches of Teluk Duyung, Muka Head or Pantai Kerachut. The park is a home to nesting site for turtle and meromictic lake, definitely one of Penang’s most treasure natural heritage.

penang van rental - penang national park (8) penang van rental - penang national park (7) penang van rental - penang national park (6) penang van rental - penang national park (5)

Penang National Park

The Penang National Park (Malay: Taman Negara Pulau Pinang; Tamil: பினாங்கு தேசியப் பூங்காக்கள்,Piṉāṅku tēciyap pūṅkākkaḷ; Chinese: 槟城国家公园,bīng chéng guó jiā gōng yuán) spans 1,213ha of land and sea and is used by scientists, researchers, and nature lovers to explore its natural treasures.

Previously known as the Pantai Acheh Forest Reserve, this pristine site is known to harbour 417 flora and 143 fauna species. Pantai Acheh Forest Reserve, located at the northwestern tip of Penang Island, was declared the Penang National Park in April 2003.

Penang National Park is the first protected area legally gazetted under Malaysia’s National Park Act of 1980, signifying the State and Federal governments’ environmental protection efforts.

Penang National Park was established to preserve and protect flora and fauna as well as objects with geological, archaeological, historical, ethnological, scientific, and scenic interests.

Natural attractions of Pulau Pinang National Park include the hill / lowland dipterocarp forests, mangrove forest areas, sandy beach habitats, a seasonal meromictic lake and the open coastal seas. Stands of seraya (Shorea curtisii) trees, common feature of coastal dipterocarp forest, can be easily seen on steep slopes around Muka Head. There are over 1000 species of plants recorded which are dominated by the families Dipterocarpaceae, Leguminosae, Apocynaceae, Anacardiaceae, Euphorbiaceae and Moraceae.

Part of the Pantai Acheh Forest Reserve had been logged before 1955; no forest areas there have been logged since 1955. All logging activities were stopped in 1996, and Malaysian public funding has been allocated to develop the Penang National Park, within guidelines.

 


Opening Hours : 7.30am – 6pm
Address : Jalan Hassan Abbas, Balik Pulau
Entry Fee : Free
YouTube Video : 

Woguides Adventure Sdn Bhd No Comments

Teluk Bahang Dam

Teluk Bahang Dam

Teluk Bahang Dam located off the northern cape of Penang Island. Its scenic surroundings are a favorite picnic spot for locals. Teluk Bahang Dam is the dramatic stage for the annual Penang International Dragon Boat Festival races.

penang van rental - teluk bahang dam (8) penang van rental - teluk bahang dam (7) penang van rental - teluk bahang dam (6)pennag van rental - teluk bahang dam (5)

Teluk Bahang Dam

The Teluk Bahang Dam is the largest dam on Penang Island. It was built to provide an alternative source of water supply to the Ayer Itam Dam and the Botanic Gardens Waterfall. It is located on the southern part of Teluk Bahang. From its crest, one can enjoy a scenic view of the northern coast of Penang Island.

The Teluk Bahang Dam was completed in 1999. The dam has a height of 58.5 meters and a length of 685 meters. The crest is 12 meters thick, allowing for a roadway to be built along it. The Teluk Bahang Dam is often used as the venue for international dragon boat races.

 


Opening Hours : 9am – 5pm
Address : Teluk Bahang
Entry Fee : Free
YouTube Video : https://youtu.be/3Jju2LkHpF4